XT Layers for DMD/blit terminals (was: Re: Unix PC 3.51 smgr)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Mon Feb 19 06:46:59 AEST 1990

In article <WJC.90Feb17204827 at hoswjc.ho5cad.ATT.COM>
william_j_carpenter at ATT.COM (Bill Carpenter) writes:

|>lenny> I don't know how they work, or if they work at all.  I'm not
|>lenny> fortunate to own (or work with) a 630 terminal... but the
|>lenny> xt-layers, and appropriate drivers was already ported to the
|>lenny> UNIX pc.  You'll find it part of the 3.51 Development Set
|>
|>Now for the quasi-bad news.  You can't dial into your UNIXpc on ph0/1
|>and run layers.  I forget the exact failure mode, but I think "layers"
|>claimed ph1 wasn't a tty.  ("Oh, yeah?  Sez who?")

[...]
You might *try* to link /dev/phN to /dev/ttyphN.  I've seen programs
that strncmp(ttydevice, "/dev/tty", 8) to check for the validity of
the tty devices.  I don't know if this is *one* of those :->

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano            ICUS Software Systems      lenny at icus.islp.ny.us |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,hombre,sbcs,attctc}!icus!lenny     attmail!icus!lenny |