line printer problems with 3.51m

Bruce Stewart bruces at daneel.rtech.com
Sun Feb 18 06:51:51 AEST 1990

Well, 3.51m was looking good until I tried to use my parallel printer.  Instead
of a nice, steady stream of output, what I get is one line ... pause for 10
minutes ... next line ... pause for 10 minutes ... etc.  Needless to say, I
wasn't pleased (8-)).  Anyway, after checking everything else (cables, lp
configuration, permissions, interface file, printer hardware), and
rebooting several times, I tried running the 3.51 kernel -- presto! --
the printer started performing correctly again.  I know the 3.51m
release had a (minor?) change that could have affected the printer, but
I don't recall the exact nature of the change.  Any information,
reports of similar experiences, etc. appreciated.  My configuration is:

3B1 -- 3.5Mbytes memory, 3.51m operating system
40 Mbyte disk
StarSG15 printer (wide carriage version of StarSG10), parallel, 16k resident
print buffer
printer defined as StarSG10 to lp spooler
printer device:  /dev/rawlp (tried /dev/lp, no better).

I have occasionally gotten the printer to react normally by adding set -x to
the interface file (why this should affect anything, I don't know, unless it
has something to do with the buffering), but this is not a consistent result,
and may be coincidental.

Help appreciated.  ADVTHANKSANCE.

-bruce stewart