AT&T 386 UNIX software development set

~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~ fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Tue Feb 13 04:34:54 AEST 1990

In article <102 at abhg.UUCP> misko at abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes:
>I recently took advantage of the AT&T upgrade offer and upgraded my
>386 UNIX from Release 3.1 to 3.2.2.  Now I have an up to date foundation
>set, but I am wondering about the software development set.  I still
>have the development set from Release 3.1.  I think is was called
>Issue 4.1.  Anyway, I was wondering, does anyone know what the most
>recent release of the 386 software development set is, if there is/was
>an upgrade, and what, if anything, I would get in the way of enhancements
>if I bought the latest development set?  Thanks for any information.

Note that this info pertains to 386 Unix products.

There are currently two versions of C available :
- C Programming Language Utilities (CPLU) issue 4.1.6
- Standard C Development Environment (SCDE) issue 5.0/3

C issue 4.1.6 is available for 386 System V Release 3.2.2; the
main feature of 4.1.6 that I remember is that it has the ELF
loader.  ELF (Executable and Linking Format) is the object
format that goes forward  after System V Release 3.2.2.  It supercedes
and is compatible with the COFF (Common Object File Format)
format of previous versions of CPLU for 386 Unix.

C issue 5.0 is ANSI standard C, and is the going forward
version of CPLU.  C issue 5 will be available on System V
Release 4.0, 4.1.6 will not.  Other features :
	- ANSI S3.159-1989 compliant
	- ELF objects
	- stdio now supports arbitrary number of open files
	- three new compiler switches to set the degree of
	  ANSI compatibility from Kernighan-Ritchie C to ANSI C.
	- ANSI compliance warnings added to LINT
	- removal of arbitrary compilation limits; compiler tables
	  grow dynamically
	- enhancements for international software development
	  and operating environments

SCDE 5.0/4 will be the version of C issue 5 that runs on
System V Release 4.

4.1.6 is orderable as :
	PEC 1331-025 - CPLU 4.1.6
	    1331-033 - CPLU 4.1.6, Unix 3.2.2 16-user
	    1331-034 - CPLU 4.1.6, Unix 3.2.2 unlimitted

C issue 5.0 is orderable as :
	PEC 1331-040 - SCDE 5.0/3
	    1331-043 - SCDE 5/0/3, Unix 3.2.2 16-user
	    1331-044 - SCDE 5/0/3, Unix 3.2.2 unlimitted

Hope this answers your questions,

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Entry Level Systems Support