WD2010 update

Paul Homchick paul at cgh.UUCP
Mon Feb 26 08:22:42 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb20.234235.26713 at hybrid.UUCP> (Mark Dapoz) writes:

/ I ordered two of these from them about 6 months ago and I've had
/ absolutely no problems with either of them.  Both of them were A's
/ and have been installed in two 3B1's which get a lot of disk
/ activity (full news feeds!).  I wonder if it's the WD2010A's or
/ the 3B1's which have the problem.  There's been more than one case
/ in the past where certain revisions of motherboards have different
/ timing characteristics than newer ones.

My experience is that some 7300's (at least mine) DO NOT work with a
WD2010(x) (where x = A || B).  I have an early 7300, and a later 3B1.
I bought two WD2010B's from Thad's group purchase, and the 7300 works
fine with the WD1010A in it, but can't find a hard disk when a WD2010B
is installed.  I can take that same WD2010B and put it in the 3B1 and
have no problems.  This is the case for BOTH of my WD2010B's.

There is evidently some sort of timing or logic problem, and I wish I
knew what it was so I could fix it.  I bought a Maxtor XT2190 and
installed the PAL5.1 mods in hopes of using > 1024 cyls and 15 heads.
Since the WD2010B won't work in the machine, I ended up with 15 heads
and only 1024 cylinders.

In summary, I do not think it is true that you can plug replace a
WD1010 with a WD2010 in all Unix-PCs.
--
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet           cgh!paul at manta.pha.pa.us
259 Radnor-Chester Rd, Suite 140 :MCI                               PHOMCHICK
Radnor, PA  19087-5299           :GEnie                              HOMCHICK