HD2 is now for sale

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.uucp
Sun Jun 10 08:20:10 AEST 1990

Procrastination will be the death of me.

I am now accepting orders for the HD2 Hard Disk Expansion board for the
AT&T/Convergent UNIXpc/7300/3b1.

What it is:

The HD2 board is a small 3" x 2.4" PC board that is wired into a UNIXpc. It is
NOT an expansion card, and does not take up an expansion slot.

The board provides:

1. Hardware support for four (4) hard disk drives
2. Support for up to 16 heads per drive.
3. Mother board revision level feedback.
4. Hardware support for two (2) floppy disk drives.

Note that no software is provided. To take advantage of the second hard disk
drive, AT&T UNIX 3.5 or later must be used. There is currently NO software
support for more than two hard disk drives or more than one floppy drive. The
board does not increase the maximum number of cylinders. To use hard disk
drives with more than 1024 cylinders, the WD1010-05 on the mother board must
be replaced with a WD2010, which is NOT included.

To install the HD2 board, the motherboard must be removed from the machine,
and several wires and an IC socket must be added. One wire must be cut or
added and an IC pin must be lifted and a wire attached to it. The HD2 board is
designed to be mounted in the space where the left fan is on older machines.
It has been shown that the machine runs cooler with only the right fan
installed, in fact all 3b1 machines were not shipped with a left fan. Since
the 7300 and 3b1 power supplies can not support more than one hard drive, it
is assumed that the internal drive will be moved to an external box with the
the second hard drive. A typical configuration is a cheap IBM-PC clone box
and power supply.

What you will get:

1. An HD2 board, fully populated, tested and ready to go.
2. A 20 pin socket to put into the UNIXpc motherboard.
3. A 20 pin header to 20 pin header ribbon cable.
4. A copy of the installation manual.
5. A copy of the schematics.
6. A copy of the PAL equations for the 22V10 PAL.
7. One-way shipping of my choice, probably US MAIL.
8. My USENET mail address: jbm at uncle.uucp
9. My answering machine: (614) 252-8544

The price for 1 to 8 above is $75.00 US.

**** Money order or Certified check ONLY ****

What you will need and NOT get from me:

1. Wire wrapping wire for the mother board patch wires.
2. Solder, tools.
3. Another hard drive.
4. Long 20 pin cables (one per drive needed).
5. A Long 34 pin cable with at least two drive connectors.
6. A box to mount your hard and floppy drive(s) in.
7. A power supply for the drives.
8. A news feed for unix-pc.general
9. The new diagnostic disk if you plan to add a drive with more than 1024
   cylinders.

I do not provide the external cables because eveyone will do something
different, so it's not practicle. You can also buy these cables a lot cheaper
than I could provide them.

Note: you do not need a second hard drive for the board to work; it will work
fine with only one hard drive. You will need to know how to change the select
code for you hard drives (unless you use a twisted IBM drive cable), and you
will need to know how to activate and deactivate termination for you hard
drives.

Note that I have not yet had the boards assembled. I just don't have the front
money to get them built. As soon as I get enough money from orders, I will
go ahead and have as many as possible built. If I get more orders than I have
boards, then it will depend on how many more. If I get a lot more, then I'll
have another run of boards made. If I only get a few more orders than boards,
then I'll have to return those orders. Because of all this, I will place orders
on a first-come-first-served basis. It will take one month for the boards to
be built, maybe less. I will hold money orders until it looks like this whole
thing is going to fly, then I will cash a bunch of them and place the order
for the boards to be built.

If you need to return a defective HD2 board for repair or replacement, you will
pay for shipping the bad one to me and I will pay to ship the working one to
you.

---
afc at shibaya.lonestar.ORG	Augustine Cano
alfred!elliot at uunet	Elliot Dierksen
andy at csvax.caltech.edu	Andy Fyfe
anthony at cs.pitt.edu	Anthony Kapolka [cs.pitt.edu not in the maps]
botton at i88.isc.com	Brian D. Botton
brad at slammer	Brad Isley
cals at cals01.Newport.RI.US	Charles A. Sefranek
cfctech!rphroy!tkacik at sharkey	Tom Tkacik
comhex!sysop at uflorida	Joe E. Powell
crayfe at amelia.nas.nasa.gov	Cray Research
dmk at dmk3b1	David M. Keaton
donlash at uncle	Donald Lashomb
dt at yenta	David B. Thomas
dwn at swbatl.SWBT.COM	David Neill-OKCy Mktg 405-278-4007
ebh at argon	Ed Horch
frank at c3pe.C3.COM	Frank Dorer
gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us	Gary S. Trujillo
hartman at abacab	Mark A. Hartman [abacab not in the maps]
holin!bes at att
introl!booth!roger at marque
jeapedai at pb2esac	[pb2esac not in the maps]
john at spirit	John F. Godfrey
jtk at lakesys.lakesys.com	Joseph T. Klein
kevin at kosman	Kevin O'Gorman
map at mabjab
michael at stb.info.com	Michael Gersten
micro at micrtk.cactus.org	Microtek Microbiology
mike at captain	Mike Proicou
mkp at taqwa	Michael K. Peterson
paone at cs.rutgers.edu	Phil Paone
rhg at cpsolv.CPS.COM	Richard H. Gumpertz
titus at dcdwest	Matt Titus
whorfin at pixar	Shut up.  Be happy.
wiupm!adh at att.com	Andrew D Hay +1 508 374 5484
yarvin-norman at yale
flinton at eagle.wesleyan.edu	Fred E.J. Linton
---

Please send orders to:

John B. Milton
2906 1/2 East Fifth Avenue
Apartment C
Columbus, OH  43219-2802

Write on a card:
1. How many boards you want.
2. The names and e-mail addresses of EACH person who will get a board.
3. The complete US MAIL address where the order will be sent.
4. A day and night phone number I can call if the shipment is returned.
5. Indicate whether or not you have access to unix-pc.general.

Remember: money order or certified check only. I will return your order if you
send me a personal check. A money order costs $2 at most banks. Please remeber
that I am not in this to make money. If there is any profit, it will go into
the development of future projects.

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:252-8544, w:469-1990; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:252-8544, w:469-1990; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!