AT&T 6386 WGS / 16mhz / 1mb Config. Problem

Glenn Patrick Steffler gpsteffl at sunee.waterloo.edu
Sat Jun 16 00:10:14 AEST 1990

In article <4152 at milton.acs.washington.edu> swanie at milton.acs.washington.edu (Eric Swansen) writes:
>When booting I see 640k of "base" memory, 0k of extended memory and
>384k of "dedicated" memory. (I also have a Paradise VGA1024 card with
>512k on board if that matters).

You can't run enhanced mode without at least 1Mb of extended memory.  The
"dedicated 385Kb" is probably (likely) shadow RAM into which the BIOS is
loaded in order to speed access to system routines.  Otherwise, the slow
16 bit wide ROM would make the system crawl.

>What do I need to run windows in 386 mode via switch or std. mode ?
>Do I need to add RAM ?

More memory helps a great deal, or run 286 protect mode just as good IMHO
unless you are running DOS apps.

--
Co-Op    _____           "Bo doesn't know software" - George Brett