How to turn off auto-answer on OBM?

Robb Thomas Robb.Thomas at f1.n684.z89.onebdos.UUCP
Wed Jun 27 18:34:04 AEST 1990

 > Is there a way to leave the phone in "DATA" mode and yet disable the
 > modem AUTO-ANSWER mode?

Yup.. I have an AT&T 3B2 sitting here sitting beside me on the floor running
in that 'mode' right now.

 > I want the 3b1 to be able to dial-out for UUCP at will. But, I don't
 > want
 > it to be able to answer the phone at all.

  OK, if your running under a HAYES COMPATABLE modem, you should set the DIP
SWITCHES so that the AA (autoAnswer) light is off (AutoAnswer is disabled).
This will stop your modem from answering the phone on you.   The Below is my
Dialers entry...  Feel free to use it to modify your existing, or create a
new Dialer for your computer system.

/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers

usr24  =,--   "" \dATZ\r\c OK\r-\pATZ\r\b-OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c\ CONNECT
                                                     ^
*NOTE:                                               |
If you cannot disable the AutoAnswer Via DIP SWITCH:  \____
The below method will only take effect *AFTER* the         |
first call is made.  Basically make your modem phone       |
anywhere, and then it will no longer answer.               |

usr24 =.--    "" \dATS0=0\r\c OK\r-\pATS0=0\r\c-OK\r \EATDT\t\r\c CONNECT
                                                           ^

                                                           +
     For your CALL WAITING problem, there is a 'dialing sequence' you can
use to temporarly DISABLE IT..  Usually you can disable it by forcing your
modem to send the 'sequence' as part of it's initial DIAL out sequence.  If
you insert the CALL WAITING DISABLE sequence right after the ATDT part, and
then it should stop those 'annoying' beep tones, when your computer is using
the phone line.  I am afraid I do not have/use call waiting, but I am sure
someone out there in modem land knows what the CALL WAITING DISABLE sequence
is??

    I suggest you make a copy of your Dialers file before attempting to hack
in the above stuff.  Also, you *MAY* need to modify your
/usr/lib/uucp/Devices file to have a line looking something like:

ACU tty21 - 2400 usr24 \T
      /            ^
     /             \_____  This tells UUCICO which entry in Dialers to use!
   /  The TTY number       If you add a new Dialers entry, this will need
  / in your INITTAB        to be changed.
 |    file

\|/ In your /etc/inittab, the tty's getty should be *OFF*
21:234:off:/etc/getty -t 60 tty21 2400
        \___________

 You should not be respawning getty on that line, when you are running an
outdial line...   Good luck, and play it safe!  Make backups of all these
files before you start playing with them!  If you are running on a PORTS
card gimme a shout... You may run into other 'problems' which may need
'dealing' with.

Cheers......

                                                ---- Robb ---

P.S. - Send private responses to vanbc!oneb!hakatac!thomasrn
                                           or
                                 vanbc!oneb!hakatac!rthomas

--- FD 1.99c
 * Origin: Sir Hackalot's Lair (89:684/1)
--
        Robb Thomas - via IMEx node 89:681/1
        Robb.Thomas at f1.n684.z89.onebdos.UUCP