Need help with unix/starmail mail s

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Jun 9 02:57:52 AEST 1990

In article <66900013 at uicbert.eecs.uic.edu> thomas at uicbert.eecs.uic.edu writes:

>We are attempting to implement a unified DOS/UNIX mail system on an
>ATT Starlan network using SVR3.2 servers.  We are using the ATT
>Starmail product for DOS.  We would like users to be able to use the
>mail system from either UNIX or DOS.  This is no problem before a
>particular mail message is received.  Once a message has been received
>by Starmail, Unix mail can no longer see it (and vice versa).  Does
>anyone have any suggestions of ways to remedy this situation?

If you provide access to the user's unix home directory from DOS
via the Starlan DOS Server, you can put the message directory
there (attmsg). Starmail retreives the unix mailbox into individual
files under attmsg/in.  If this is stored on the unix machine, you
can access these files directly.  If you want a similar interface
when logged in under unix, you could get PMX-TERM and set it up to
use the same message directory.  Then, retreiving from either program
will make the messages available to the other.   PMX-TERM won't add
the carriage returns to the text portion of the messages, though.
I'm not sure if that would bother the Starmail interface or not.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us