ATT 6300 hardware questions (long)

Tom Painter painter at sequoia.execu.com
Fri Jun 1 03:29:37 AEST 1990

I seem to have an ATT 6300 pc that runs DOS.  It was put in my
possession for repair without manuals, etc.  Since I've never
seen one, I'm a little lost.

There is a main cabinet and an expansion box.  The main cabinet has the
mother board, power supply,  a video card, a space where the hard disk
fits, and one other card with a 25 pin port (female).  I assume that
the card is for a printer.  The box also has a wide ribbon cable that
leads from under a false bottom to the expansion cabinet.

The expansion cabinet has a power supply, a circuit board that I assume
controls 5 power switches on the front, and a floppy disk drive.  The
ribbon cable has two connectors on it (daisy-chained).  The end connector
attaches to a floppy disk drive, while the other hangs loose.

The problem lies in the two hard disks that are as yet unattached.
>From what I can gather, the owner had the 10-meg attached and wanted to
upgrade to the 40-meg.  Now, I would assume that there should be a
hard-disk controller card in the main cabinet for these disks.  There
is not, unless the first connector on the ribbon cable is supposed to
connect it to a controller under the "false" bottom.  Also, there is
no thin ribbon cable, which is usually typical for hard disks.

My questions are this:

	1.  What's the first connector on the ribbon cable for?
            (a second floppy drive? 10-meg hard drive?)  Or is
            the floppy drive connected to the wrong connector?

	2.  Is there some kind of hard disk controller under the
            "false" bottom? As I mentioned, the 10-meg was installed
            at one point.  Am I missing some of the parts?  (ie.  a
            hard disk controller and cable)

	3.  What is needed for the 40-meg disk?  I assume a controller
            card needs to be purchased.  Does a 6300 need special
            parts or will IBM clone parts work?

Please e-mail responses.

Thanks

Tom
Tom Painter                             UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!painter
Execucom Systems Corp., Austin, Texas   Internet: painter at execu.com
(512) 327-7070                                    execu!painter at cs.utexas.edu
Disclaimer: My Company?  They'll claim my all waking hours, not my opinions.