3.51m hangs (wish it didn't)

julian macassey julian at bongo.UUCP
Wed Mar 7 15:46:23 AEST 1990

In article <27612 at cup.portal.com>, thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

> Some people in this area report similar problems with their systems, with or
> without having upgraded to 3.51m.  Through a series of "20 Questions", I've
> come to the conclusion that computers WITHOUT proper AC power protection have
> problems, and computers WITH proper protection have no (or very few)
> problems.  For the record, my systems have NO problems whatsover.  In fact:

	And the first of my 20 questions is: Why don'y designers add
MOVs, capacitors and chokes in their power supplies? Why are we
supposed to buy add on boxes for every digital box? If they all
need one, I would assume they should all have them built in. Why
don't we start demanding they add the extra dollars worth pf
components.

	I seem to recall many, many moons ago designing power supplies.
In those days, we put filtering in the PSU. Yup we even had a
grunge generator for testing the designs. But in those days a
design to be proud of worked on any line and didn't radiate
garbage either. It must have been a long time ago.

	Other questions I have concern radiation in and out of
electronic boxes - another matter cheaply fixed with good design
and common sense.

Yours in despair
--
Julian Macassey, n6are  julian at bongo.info.com  {ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE at K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495