C news on a 3B1/7300 (or B news with mdbm)

Karl Swartz kls at ditka.UUCP
Fri Mar 16 20:05:21 AEST 1990

A few weeks ago there was a brief discussion of C news on the
AT&T 3B1/7300.  Unfortunately I was busy at the time and those
messages expired before I got to them.  Last weekend I spent a
number of hours trying to get it working and mostly ended up
with a deep hatred for the awful configuration script.  Could
someone tell me how to get C news up on one of these machines,
if it's doable?  (Post if you think the information will be of
general interest though given the recent discussion I suspect
e-mail would be best.)

If C news isn't feasible, what about B news with mdbm?  I have
been running 2.11.8 with the hashed history files but wanted
to get some extra speed and so tried to use the mdbm posted by
Dave Ihnat, upgrading to 2.11.14 in the process, now that the
lost inode bug is fixed in the kernel.  Unfortunately expire
keeps exploding and then everything goes to hell with messages
about history.dir and history.map not being linked.  Having
already wasted quite a few hours on C news I really didn't feel
like a long debugging session so I reverted to the old, slow,
2.11.8 and hashing.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

--
Karl Swartz			 |UUCP	uunet!apple!zygot!ditka!kls
1-408/223-1308			 |INet	zygot!ditka!kls at apple.com
"I never let my schooling get in |BIX	kswartz
the way of my education."(Twain) |Snail	1738 Deer Creek Ct., San Jose CA 95148