Adding 3rd party SCSI disc to 3B2/600

Brando W. Brown brando at uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 16 06:24:47 AEST 1990

At Addamax we have two 600mb SCSI Feith Systems drives connected to our
3B2/600 and when one of the drives failed I took the second drive in
one of the cabinets and tried replacing it with another drive. Well, of
course, it didn't work. I believe that on the Emulex ESDI to SCSI board
there are some type of ROMS that generate the SCSI protocol with the
appropriate drive information. My reasoning was that after replacement
of the CDC ESDI drive with a similar size, but different drive, the
drive parameters with my SCSI formatting program remained the same.

If you have any further luck, or feel I could lend you a hand, feel
free to send mail or call (217) 359-0700....

P.S.  I have been successful in taking a 3B2/600's SCSI drive and attaching
it to my 386/ix Unix box with an Adaptec Controller, so I also assume that
the drives are, for the most part, interchangeable on the SCSI level.

|   Brandon Brown                    Internet:   brando at uiucme.me.uiuc.edu   |
|   Addamax Corporation              UUCP:       uunet!uiucuxc!addamax!brown |
|   2009 Fox Drive                   GEnie:      xmg23356 macbrando          |
|   Champaign, IL  61820             CompuServe: 73040,447                   |