C news on a 3B1/7300 (or B news with mdbm)

Karl Swartz kls at ditka.UUCP
Sun Mar 25 20:23:22 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar23.182241.24840 at eci386.uucp> clewis at eci386.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>ecicrl (at 3b1) is running B-news 2.11.19 with ... no
>dbm/sdbm/dbz/ndbm/mdbm whatsoever.

>And runs quite happily and swiftly.  Even when catching up on 8 or
>more Mb of news in one continuous UUCP slurp.

Well, ditka was doing ok until I upgraded to a full feed.  Also, as
a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy I have several ihave/sendme feeds.
Those two combined to make performance without db* unacceptable.

I first noticed a serious problem while waiting for a batch to fully
unpack so I could power down without interrupting anything.  After
over 30 minutes working on *one* article (an ihave for 692 article
ids) I gave up.  Later on I clocked a 96 id ihave (which generated
a sendme for 57 of the articles) at 12 minutes, or 8 ids per minutes.

Since switching to dbz I haven't done any timings on these suckers,
but the hourly run of 'rnews -U' finishes before the next one starts,
where before there was a backlog of batches that often approached an
entire day's worth of incoming traffic.

--
Karl Swartz			 |UUCP	uunet!apple!zygot!ditka!kls
1-408/223-1308			 |INet	zygot!ditka!kls at apple.com
"I never let my schooling get in |BIX	kswartz
the way of my education."(Twain) |Snail	1738 Deer Creek Ct., San Jose CA 95148