flaky 3b1

Thomas J. Pusateri pusateri at macbeth.cs.duke.edu
Thu Mar 8 03:28:36 AEST 1990

I'm having some weird symptoms with my 3b1 and was wondering if any
one else had similar problems.

I'll be typing along and all of a sudden everything will freeze. The
heartbeat LED stops and nothing works. When I cycle power on the machine,
it doesn't ever get past the rom initialization. Usually the LEDS stop
at the first stage with just the red LED on but occasionally it gets
to the GREEN led.

This happenned once before and I took the machine completely apart and
put it back together and it worked okay again.

This only started happenning after I connected an epson rx-80 to the
parallel port. It happenned the first time with the 3.51a kernel and
this most recent time with the 3.51m kernel. It never happened with
the 3.51 standard kernel.

I love the machine but I have to admit, its not very reliable. By the
way, I don't have any power protection on the machine. I've been told
the cheapo surge supressors are junk and can't afford a good power
line conditioner yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom Pusateri
Duke University Medical Center