flaky 3b1

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Sat Mar 10 01:49:18 AEST 1990

In article <18039 at duke.cs.duke.edu> pusateri at macbeth.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) writes:
>I'm having some weird symptoms with my 3b1 and was wondering if any
>one else had similar problems.
>
> [description of flakiness]
>
>This only started happenning after I connected an epson rx-80 to the
>parallel port. It happenned the first time with the 3.51a kernel and
>this most recent time with the 3.51m kernel. It never happened with
>the 3.51 standard kernel.
>
>I love the machine but I have to admit, its not very reliable. By the
>way, I don't have any power protection on the machine. I've been told
>the cheapo surge supressors are junk and can't afford a good power
>line conditioner yet.

I also was having a bunch of 'flakiness' on my 3b1.  It would come and go,
and I would wonder if it was related to the most recent slight alteration
to what was going on or what was connected.  It had built up over time,
so I got used to it, but finally got worrisome enough that I posted a
message much like yours.  I got about 3 replies, all suggesting a power
supply problem.  I have surge protectors, but that's all.

Well, I had bought a couple of spare supplies and had never installed them,
so I did it right away.  This machine has been up solid now for two
months, and looks just plain bulletproof.

Alerted to this, and paying attention to other traffic on the net, I have
come to the conclusion that all sorts of off-the-wall troubles can be
caused by a weak 3b1 or 7300 supply.  Try to get a spare, or just get
someone who knows how to work on your existing supply.  They are almost
always repairable.

--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin at kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp at nrc.com )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035