TCP/IP Version 3.0.1 on a 3B2 310

Scott Merrilees Sm at bhpese.oz.au
Tue Mar 27 20:20:42 AEST 1990

isusecn at prism.gatech.EDU (chris newton) writes:

>My system will boot up and stay that way for 30 seconds to 1 minute then
>the following message appears:
>   PANIC:  KERNEL MMU FAULT (F_ACCESS)

I just had this problem today when installing a new disc into a 3b2/310.
We had a basic system up, installed win tcp/ip (version 1.0, unfortunately),
& started extracting the system backup over the network from the
machine where we backed it up to.  I ran out of space on root during
the restore, near the end.  This was then restoring /boot & /dgn.

When I did a rebuild of /unix, booted & tried to start tcp/ip, I got
the same PANIC message as above.  I did the tcp/ip startup manually
command by command & caused the crash with ifconfig.  I tried doing
another rebuild, swapping the ni board between slots 1 & 4.  I noticed
that the checksum of /boot/NET was incorrect, & so copied over a new
version.  Still didn't work.  Checked & copied a few other files from
/boot, still nogo.  I did a reinstall of tcp/ip, a rebuild & it
worked.  I think some/one of the files necessary for tcp/ip or the
tcp/ip interface was corrupted when I ran out of space restoring &
the reinstall fixed it.

So, my suggestion is to check out the kernel object modules in /boot,
and anything else relevant to tcp/ip.  Maybe you should do a manual
startup as I did, waiting 5 minutes between each command?

Sm
--
Scott Merrilees, BHP Rod & Bar Products Division, Newcastle, Australia
INTERNET: Sm at bhpese.oz.au      UUCP: ...!uunet!bhpese.oz!Sm