2 floppy drives on the Unix PC (was: 3.5 inch drives on Unix PC)

Ron Wilson rlw at ttardis.UUCP
Thu Mar 8 00:33:43 AEST 1990

In article <9221 at stiatl.UUCP>, bgi at stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley) writes:
>In article <22605 at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> sjohn at cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Sasinowski) writes:
>>	I am interested in adding a 3.5" drive to my Unix PC to make
>>backing up the hard disk easier.  Jameco Electronics has a drive that
>>is listed as a 720K drive for an IBM PC.  Will this work in my machine?
>
>the sketchy requirements for making a 3.5" floppy work in the 3b1.  If it's
>configured for an IBM PeeCee it  WILL NOT WORK.  Sony's recent offerings in
>the 3.5" size are hardwired for PeeCee compatibility - no jumpers. :-(
>I know it won't work, I tried.  Gotta have jumpers.  I have a Mitsubishi in
>mine.  Works great.  Stores 1560 blocks on a disk with a default file system.
>
>For the Mitsubishi, short the following jumpers:
>SR MM IS DS0
>Also notice that you must twist the data cable when installing
>Mitsubishi drives.  It's very tight after the twist.
>
>For the Teac, short the following jumpers:
>RY DS0
>
>All jumpers not mentioned above must be open.
>--
>Brad Isley, yer local tools blacksmith.

Sounds good. Now, the next question:

How about 2 floppy drives? (the 5.25 inch already there, plus, the
3.5 inch added on (externally, of course, but no problem for me))

Also, what about the high density 3.5 inch drives? - are these simply
more tracks? or do they require more sectors per track?

Thanks in advance.

- Ron Wilson
rlw at ttardis
sharkey!cfctech!ttardis!rlw