3b2/400

glenn.theobald theobald at cbnewsk.ATT.COM
Thu Mar 29 06:57:32 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar27.175309.2551 at nebulus.UUCP> root at nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:
>In article <10509 at leadsv.UUCP> hashemi at leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) writes:
>> Howdy Net.folk. I have a problem, which requires some experties(which I don't
>> have).
>>
>> and power has been cycled to the system. Now the big problem: I HAVE FORGOTTEN
>> THE PASSWORDS I HAD ASSIGNED TO THE SYSADMIN AND ROOT... :-( . THe big question
>> is, HOW DO I GET BACK ON THIS SYSTEM(No Floppy Key was made at the time).
>>
>> Any advise is greatly appreciated.
>                                                   Find disk number one of
>the Unix(tm) set and boot the machine. When you see the message "DIAGNOSTICS
>PASSED" reach around the back of the computer and press the reset button. Some
>machines had a real push button, but most of them have a little hole with a
>recessed switch.

[ Deleted useful text ]

>root partition "mount /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 /mnt" Make sure the /mnt directory
>is there first. Here is the rest of the goodies in command format.

The Essental Utilities Disk #1 does NOT have the mount(1) command.  There
is a comprable command fsys with undocumented options to do this operation.
The devices on the floppy are also different /dev/idsk00 (on the floppy)
is where the / (hard drive) filesystem lives.  The filesystem should be
fsck(1M)'ed before mounted to be on the safe side.
Also the /mnt directory does not exist on the EU #1 disk, use instal.

# fsck /dev/idsk00
# fsys -m /dev/idsk00 /install

># cp /mnt/passwd /mnt/opasswd			# save a copy of the passwd

# cp /install/etc/passwd /install/etc/opasswd

># cat > /mnt/passwd				# create a new password file

		Once root is mounted the editor ed(1) which lives
		in /bin is now available, thus

# /install/bin/ed /install/etc/passwd

		Edit with ed and save file before quiting

># umount /mnt					# umount it!

		umount(1) is also not on the EU #1 disk so use fsys again.

# fsys -u /install
# sync
# sync
		Sync the system to update the superblock and assure everything
		is written to the disk.
# uadmin 2 2
		Uadmin(1) is a very dangerous command. These options cause a
		return to firmware.  From there just boot /unix off of the
		hard drive and you have removed the root password.

>Dennis S. Breckenridge  (604) 277-7413   dennis at nebulus.uucp           VE7TCP
>               EMACS: Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping!

Glenn Theobald
theobald at inuxy.att.com