C news on a 3B1/7300 (or B news with mdbm)

Karl Swartz kls at ditka.UUCP
Thu Mar 22 06:29:21 AEST 1990

In article <647 at magnus.Hotline.Com> levin at magnus.Hotline.Com (Michael M Levin) writes:
>In article <22541 at ditka.UUCP> I write:
>>Could someone tell me how to get C news up on one of these machines

>	It's a pain in the rear end, and it seems too big and clunky for a
>	little 'ole 3B1.

Urk?  I thought C news was supposed to be ever so much faster than
B news, and thus should be better for a little 'ole 3B1?!

>>If C news isn't feasible, what about B news with mdbm?

Well, a neighbor (scott at zorch.sf-bay.org) sent me dbz 1.9, and I
built B news 2.11.14 with that.  At first, it built a very nice
looking history file and an utterly empty dbz index to it.  Turns
out I had defined INCORE, which causes dbz to cache as much of
the index as it can in memory, with stuff only flushed to disk
when you cause dbmclose.  B news hasn't a clue what dbmclose is
and so everything is happily built in memory and left there.  The
right solution would have been to put in the calls to dbmclose
(do the newer patch levels do this?) but for now I just took out
the INCORE definition.

With that, news is running happily and swiftly.

I'd still like to take a look at C news but time is short at the
moment and with dbz working ditka can handle the current load
with aplomb.  Besides, if it t'aint broke, why fix it? :-)  The
modification time on the inews I was running until last weekend
was Feb 8 1988, so having the latest and greatest isn't *that*
big a deal for me!

Also, I hear the C news folks are completely redoing the config-
uration script, and waiting until that is done seems like a truly
marvelous idea -- I'd just as soon never see the current obnoxious
script again.

--
Karl Swartz			 |UUCP	uunet!apple!zygot!ditka!kls
1-408/223-1308			 |INet	zygot!ditka!kls at apple.com
"I never let my schooling get in |BIX	kswartz
the way of my education."(Twain) |Snail	1738 Deer Creek Ct., San Jose CA 95148