C news on a 3B1/7300 (or B news with mdbm)

Michael M Levin levin at magnus.Hotline.Com
Tue Mar 20 13:52:28 AEST 1990

In article <22541 at ditka.UUCP> kls at ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:
>...Could
>someone tell me how to get C news up on one of these machines,
>if it's doable?

	It's a pain in the rear end, and it seems too big and clunky for a
	little 'ole 3B1.

>If C news isn't feasible, what about B news with mdbm?

	I've been running with mdbm for over a year, and the trick to it is
	in the expire.c program.  The problem is that mdbm makes itself look
	kind of like dbm, but not quite-- there are two files for each of the
	data and index files.  SOoo.... what you do is hack expire.c, as well
	as making your sure that your system recognizes the plain dbm header
	file.  I think what you'll need to do is to link libmdbm.a to libdbm.a.

	You also mentioned wanting to upgrade to 2.11b-14.  Actually the very
	latest and greatest is 2.11b-18 (which I _think_ may have included the
	necessary hacks for using mdbm).  In any case, if you'd like, email me
	and I can send you the expire.c hack (although I don't have the patch-
	files for 15-18, since once I applied them I trashed them).  I s'pose
	I could even send you the whole thing, but as a compressed tar it is
	over 350K in length.  Let me know if I can help.

				Mike Levin
--
| | ___  ___ |_| ___   Michael Levin     SilentRadio Headquarters- Los Angeles
| |/ ._\| | || ||   \  20732 Lassen Street,    Chatsworth  CA  91311    U.S.A.
|_|\___/ \_/ |_||_|_|  E-Mail: levin at Hotline.Com  {att|csun|srhqla}!magnus!mml