ups for 3b1

Daniel R. Levy levy at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Wed Mar 28 19:28:34 AEST 1990

In article <3005 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, motteler at umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Howard E. Motteler) writes:

> Does anyone know how the 3b1 power supply holds up when fed the square
> wave output typical of most UPS's?  I know this causes a problem for
> some switching power supplies.

The 3B1 power supply input is a voltage doubler / brute force capacitive filter
circuit.  The switching circuit doesn't see but a few volts of ripple.
The peak to peak value of the input waveform is what matters; so long as the
p-p value of the UPS output approximates that of a 120v (RMS) AC sinewave
(i.e., about 320v p-p) it ought to work OK.
--
Daniel R. Levy                     >>> God: just say "yes" <<<
AT&T Bell Laboratories     UNIX(R) mail:  att!ttbcad!levy, att!cbnewsc!levy