ups for 3b1

Elliot Dierksen elliot at alfred.UUCP
Tue Mar 27 00:03:33 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar26.053828.15880 at oswego.Oswego.EDU>, ostroff at Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
> In article <684 at nz8r.UUCP> gwr at nz8r.UUCP (Gregory W. Ratcliff) writes:
> >
> >Your square wave ups should
> >work just fine, in fact the supply may like it better than AC.
> >If you try it out please post the results.

I have an American Power Conversion 450 AT which uses modified sine wave
output and has a 1 ms transfer time. I use this to keep my 3B1 & it's
expansion unit up. I decided to get a UPS after the Xmas brownouts ate my 3
week old HD. Ho, Ho, Ho!!  :-(   I have tested this one several times and it
has worked. This particular unit was reccomended to me by name by a guy at
the Hotline. He used to work for a VAR that sold lots of 3B1's and he had
good luck with these units. I got mine for ~ $330 out of Computer Shopper.
450 watts in case you hadn't guessed.  Just for those of you that don't have
reference manuals, the only comment it makes is that the power usage is
supposed to <= 400 watts. You might be able to get by providing less, but it
doesn't sound like a very good idea to me....

EBD
--
Elliot Dierksen        "I don't care if my lettuce has DDT on it,
                        as long as it's crisp!!" -- Jorma Kaukonen