ups for 3b1

Boyd Ostroff ostroff at Oswego.EDU
Mon Mar 26 15:38:28 AEST 1990

In article <684 at nz8r.UUCP> gwr at nz8r.UUCP (Gregory W. Ratcliff) writes:

>Your square wave ups should
>work just fine, in fact the supply may like it better than AC.
>If you try it out please post the results.

I have been using a Tripp-Lite BC-325 to power my 3B1 and 2400 baud
external modem ever since last summer.  We have really unreliable power
here (I live in a very rural area) and experience numerous blackouts and
brownouts.  This UPS has worked fine with my system on a number of
occasions.  I got around 40 minutes of backup time in one instance.

The computer is perfectly happy with the square wave power from what
I can tell, though the monitor exhibits some "waviness" (wouldn't want
to have to look at it *too* long like that :-).

I picked up this unit after a real nasty power hit wiped out my disk
and (of course) my backup procedures had been less than "ideal"....
My advice to anyone who values their time (let alone their hardware)
is to get some kind of UPS!  I got mine for about $300 from Jameco,
but I saw an ad for the same model for under $250 in this months
Computer Shopper...