Twisted pair (StarLan) to ThinNet

John Greene greene at venice.SEDD.TRW.COM
Fri Mar 30 10:56:47 AEST 1990

In article <10202 at netcom.UUCP> jbreeden at netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:
>In article <430 at venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> greene at venice.sedd.trw.com (John Greene)
>writes:
>>
>>First thing is that you are mixing two different things here.  Literally, you
>>can bridge between ThinNet and StarLan using a Mac Layer Bridge such as made
>>by Retix.  StarLan is a 1 MegaBit/Sec twisted pair network.

>THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT STARLAN PRODUCTS!!!!! Starlan1 is 1mb ethernet. It is

My point exactly.  I refer to the 1 MBit/sec stuff as StarLan and the 10Mbit/
sec stuff as 10 Mbit twisted pair just to keep it straight.  I understand that
they are both Star configurations.  sheesh, excitable aren't we!

>>The Synoptics stuff is an implementation of 10 MBit/sec twisted pair which
>>is in the process of being standardized as 10baseT.
>
>NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. Synoptic's Lattisnet IS NOT EVEN CLOSE to what the
>10baseT committee is standardizing on! It is a PROPRIATERY protocol. If

Obviously a poorly structured sentence on my part.  I was trying to say that
Lattisnet is Synoptics' own version of 10 Mbit twisted pair and that 10 MBit
twisted pair is in process of becoming a standard called 10baseT.  The
connection being between the 10MBit twisted pair and 10baseT.  So I got a
'C' in english composition, sue me.

>>I think that StarLan carries a standard of 1base5 (I think).

>Try IEEE 802.3/1baseT for Starlan1 and IEEE 802.3/10baseT for Starlan10,
>there is no 1base5.

>>It's been five years since I messed with any of this stuff.

>No kidding.
Fuck you, clown.

>>In short, No, Synoptics is not the same as StarLan.  Unless it is their series
>>3000 stuff, it's not 10baseT either.
>
>You are right -

No kidding.

--
John E. Greene    "People are just like frankfurters....You have to decide
                   if you're going to be a hot dog or just another wiener" DLR