Sendmail-5.65+IDA-1.4.3 on AT&T 3B2

LCDR Michael E. Dobson rdc30 at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
Tue Apr 16 01:31:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr13.071422.4412 at comp.vuw.ac.nz> mark at comp.vuw.ac.nz (Mark Davies) writes:

>In article <1991Apr12.204413.9515 at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil>,
>rdc30 at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) writes:

[most of the desription of my problem deleted]

>|> We suspect something is munging the values in the FILE structs *SmtpOut,
>|> *SmtpIn, **outfile and **infile, but have been unable to track it down.
>
>I just came across the same problem building sendmail on an interactive box.
>The fix is to dup() the socket descriptor "s" before doing the two
>fdopens of outfile and infile.  It seems that these systems don't like
>the file descriptors being shared.
>
>Here's the patch (sorry its not a context diff, but its pretty simple).
>
>	# diff daemon.c~ daemon.c
>	499c499
>	<       *infile = fdopen(s, "r");
>	---
>	>       *infile = fdopen(dup(s), "r");

BINGO!!  I applied the patch and the mail gets through!

Thanks^1000!

What's even more interesting, this trick is used a little earlier in the
code with the socket descriptor "t" .  Guess I should have spent some more
time studying the code :-)
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30 at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30
AT&T 3B2/600G Sys V R 3.2.2     | BITNET:   dobson at usuhsb or nrd0mxd at vmnmdsc
WIN/TCP for 3B2                 | MCI-Mail: 377-2719 or 0003772719 at mcimail.com