Starlan term emulators under Windows 3?

John Breeden jbreeden at netcom.COM
Sun Apr 14 06:29:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr10.153533.17603 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>Are there any terminal emulators that will run under Windows 3.0
>that will allow several simultaneous connections via Starlan to
>different unix machines on the net?  I'm currently using the
>virtual terminals on the console of a '386 running unix to accomplish
>this, but for several reasons I would like to run Windows locally
>and have all the unix sessions elsewhere.  The terminal screens
>don't have to be sizable, but they do have to be updated in the
>background, and I need to maintain at least 6 sessions without
>bothering the foreground application too much when they are not busy.

Got TCP-IP running on the hosts? Try this:

WinQVTNET (shareware TCP-IP for Windows). Available on cira.cira.indiana.edu.

You say you have Starlan, could mean a few things:

1. You have Starlan hardware (1meg/1base5 or 10meg/10baseT) and no network
   operating system. Then you need the Clarkson Packet Driver for the AT&T
   Starlan card (1 or 10 mb) (winqvt runs on top of the packet driver which
   runs ontop of the Starlan card). You can get the packet drivers from
   sun.soe.clarkson.edu. The name of the Starlan card packet driver is
   at&t.com.

2. You are running Starlan hardware AND StarGROUP software, well you need:

   A. StarGROUP Version 3.3 OR HIGHER (must be Lan Man/X).
   B. If you are using Starlan cards, you need the StarGROUP NDIS MAC driver
      (attcsma.dos) version 3.4 OR HIGHER (get that from the hot line).
   C. You need the Packet Driver to NDIS driver adapter DIS_PKT.DOS version
      1.6 (get that from netlab.usu.edu).

   WinQVT talks to DIS_PKT.DOS which talks to the NDIS MAC driver, which
   talks to the Starlan card.

   The real "spiffy" thing about this setup is both StarGROUP and WinQVT
   run concurrently without needing to re-boot - all under Windows (that's
   why you need the NDIS MAC driver V3.4 - it's a multiprotocol NDIS driver,
   supports multiple, cuncurrent protocols through a single card, in this
   case StarGROUP/LMX and tcp-ip).

   BTW: WinQVTnet supports 12 concurrent telnet sessions.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
    jbreeden at netcom.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden