ATT 6300 and Expanded Memory Board

CARRUTH at cc.utah.edu CARRUTH at cc.utah.edu
Thu Apr 18 16:42:48 AEST 1991

I have an ATT PC6300 with the original motherboard and 8086 CPU and a
total of 640K RAM.  I would like to add 2M of expanded memory to this
system.  Since the 8086 is a 16 bit processor I need a memory card with
a 16 bit bus which can be used in the ATT PC6300.  Looking at the past
four months worth of messages left on the AT&T National Systems Support
Center BBS (201) 769-6397 it appears that most PC6300 owners who have
upgraded their memory have used an ATT enhanced memory board apparently
manufactured by AST.  Does this board actually use all 16 bits of the
PC6300 bus?  Does it use 41256-12 chips?  Does it conform to LIM EMS 3.2?
Does it conform to LIM EMS 4.0?  Are there any particular errors in
the documentation that comes with the board that one should be aware of?
Where does one find this board?  Some PC6300 owners have said that they
found this board at Telrepco in CT.  (Is a phone number known?)  AST has
a BBS (714) 727-4723 from which one may obtain further information about
ordering direct from them.  Any answers, partial answers, etc. that can
be offered to these and other like questions would be greatly appreciated.

If you have experience in using another expanded memory card in the PC6300
then I would appreciate hearing from you concerning your experience using
it.

Many thanks,

Brent Carruth
Department of Engineering Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292

BLCARR01 at ULKYVX.BITNET