ABI - naming conventions for shared libraries

Reiner Ernst ernst at sinix.UUCP
Fri Apr 19 03:15:59 AEST 1991

Are there naming conventions for target shared libraries in any SVR4-ABI ?

We use the following names for the libraries in our current produkt Motif V1.1:

libX11.so.4		Xlib Release 4
libXt.so.4		Xt Intrinsics Release 4
libXm.so.1.1		Motif V1.1 Widget Library

Assuming, that there are incompatible changes to the next Release, we plan
to name the Libraries of X11 Release 5 and OSF/Motif V1.2 as :

libX11.so.5		Xlib Release 5
libXt.so.5		Xt Intrinsics Release 5
libXm.so.1.2		Motif V1.2 Widget Library

Would this break ABI conventions (i've seen the name libX11.so.1 for the
orininal Release 3 Xlib from AT&T in OPEN WINDOWS V1.0) ?

Thanks a lot for any help.

-ray