3B/310 PORTS & 9600 modem

Norman J. Meluch norm at cfctech.cfc.com
Wed Apr 3 01:59:31 AEST 1991

Recently I attempted to connect a Practical Peripherals 9600SA modem up to
a 3B/310.  The machine has 2 PORTS cards, one with a couple of terminals
(running at 9600) and one with a laserjet printer (running at 9600).

All of the terminals and printer seem to work fine (ie no data loss), but
the modem was unable to do the littlest thing (at 9600) without *extream*
amounts of bits falling on the floor.  12/2400 worked fine, 4800
was difficult to test, and I have no conclusive results.

Note: I had tested the modems on a 3B/600 with an EPORTS before going to
      the customer site, and all worked well.

Contact with PP tech support was *useless*.  They had never even heard of the
AT&T 3B line of computers.  (sarcastically) And how long have they been in
the modem business?!?

Contact with AT&T Hotline suggested that my PORTS cards were not the "hpp"
version with expanded i/o utilites, and that that was what I needed in order
to guarentee proper functioning of the modem at 9600 baud.

So the question is, will the "Enhanced i/o" of a PORTS hpp card support
this modem or do I need an EPORTS card?  Anyone out there running something
similar? Anyone got the "old" card working in such a setup where I could not?

Any help will be appreciated.

						- Norm.
--
| Mail: norm at cfctech.cfc.com           Fax:(313)948-4975  Voice:(313)948-4809 |