Starlan term emulators under Windows 3?

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Apr 20 01:26:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr13.202940.6393 at netcom.COM> jbreeden at netcom.COM (John Breeden) writes:

>Got TCP-IP running on the hosts? Try this:
>WinQVTNET (shareware TCP-IP for Windows). Available on cira.cira.indiana.edu.

No, but I'm beginning to wish I did...

>You say you have Starlan, could mean a few things:

It only meant one thing back when I got it.

>2. You are running Starlan hardware AND StarGROUP software, well you need:
>
>   A. StarGROUP Version 3.3 OR HIGHER (must be Lan Man/X).
>   B. If you are using Starlan cards, you need the StarGROUP NDIS MAC driver
>      (attcsma.dos) version 3.4 OR HIGHER (get that from the hot line).
>   C. You need the Packet Driver to NDIS driver adapter DIS_PKT.DOS version
>      1.6 (get that from netlab.usu.edu).
>
>   WinQVT talks to DIS_PKT.DOS which talks to the NDIS MAC driver, which
>   talks to the Starlan card.
>
>   The real "spiffy" thing about this setup is both StarGROUP and WinQVT
>   run concurrently without needing to re-boot - all under Windows (that's
>   why you need the NDIS MAC driver V3.4 - it's a multiprotocol NDIS driver,
>   supports multiple, cuncurrent protocols through a single card, in this
>   case StarGROUP/LMX and tcp-ip).

What about the unix end?  What do I need to run TCP/IP over the 1Mb starlan
card, and can it run concurrently with the StarGROUP OSI protocol?  I'm
currently running SysVr3.2.1 and the 3.2 DOS server and was not planning
to change anything until I can switch to SysVr4.  Will all these things
run under r4 and will they still talk to 3B2s running 3.2?  Oh, some of
the machines I want to log into are the 3B2's - is there a TCP/IP suite
for the 1M starlan boards there as well?

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us