3B2/modem recommendations wanted

Jiro Nakamura jiro at shaman.com
Thu Apr 18 10:58:51 AEST 1991

In article <a50i11w164w at dogface> bei at dogface (Bob Izenberg) writes:
>I'm going to be in the market for a modem for a 3B2/400 in the near
>future.  Telebit is a likely choice, but I'd like some other options.
>When I last looked, Hayes support for 3B2s wasn't the best.  The modem
>that I go with should do at least 2400 baud, and should be able to have
>DCD true all the time, dipping DCD and then raising it when a valid carrier
>is detected.  Transparency to uucp 'g' is a must.

	Aren't Telebits the only ones that do UUCP-g spoofing?  Does anyone
else do this? Also, Telebit can only do spoofing in PEP mode, right - so that
rules out compatibility with other modems....
	I personally own a T2500 and am very happy with it. I think the funky
DCD handling you require is under register 131=3, I'm not sure so here's
the whole gamuk:
	S131 = 	0	DCD always on
		1	DCD on when carrier detected
		2	DCD on when modem ready to accept commands or data
		3	DCD on when modem ready to accept command or data.
			When carrier is lost, DCD is turned back off for
			the amound of time specified by the S47 register
			and then back on.
		4	DCD is the inverse of CTS in command and online
			modes.

	Hope this helps. Telebit Tech support (1800-Telebit) is usually
excellent by computer standards.

	- jiro
Jiro Nakamura				jiro at shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE
"Bring your dead, dying shamans here!"	(607) 253-7809 FAX/Modem