The sticky bit (3b2, SysV3.0)

Bengt Larsson bengtl at df.lth.se
Tue Apr 2 08:13:34 AEST 1991

I have a question about the sticky bit. We're running a 3b2/400 with
SysV3.0, but the manuals are for SysV2 (regrettably).

I'm wondering what the sticky bit really does in 3.0 (3.x?). It seems
to speed up the loading of programs consideradbly. But as I have
learned it, this is done by keeping the image of a program around in swap
space for faster loading. However, the swap space doesn't seem to be affected by
setting sticky bits on programs.

Which resources are consumed by sticky bits, and why? I would be forever
grateful for a summary about sticky bits.

Bengt Larsson.
--
Bengt Larsson, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden
Internet: bengtl at maths.lth.se (preferred) or bengtl at df.lth.se