Got a 3B2/400 - Is it worth hooking up?

Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs wcs at cbnewsh.att.com
Mon Apr 1 17:16:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar29.202058.3664 at techbook.com> jeffd at techbook.com (Jeff Danforth) writes:
]   Well that's about it - a defunct company sold its out-of-service computers, ands,
]and I can buy its old 3B2/400 machine if I want.
]It has System V  R.2  I believe.
]Any thoughts on monitors, usability, and such?
]Does anybody still use these things?

	The 3B2/400 is a fine machine, though I wouldn't pay much
	money for it today.  Really depends on what you need,
	and on what peripherals it has.
	The machine gives you about 1 MIPS, and runs real
	multi-user UNIX over serial lines with terminals.
	1 MIPS used to be plenty :-)
	If you've got a use for that kind of machine,
	either as a mail handler or to support a number of users
	doing medium-weight character-based applications,
	and if they have enough disk drive for what you want, go for it.
	Personally, I'd prefer a 386 machine now - aside from
	changes in price-performance over the last N years, and the
	probability of better operating system support,
	my real concern would be peripherals.
--
				Pray for peace;		  Bill
# Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs AT&T Bell Labs 4M-312 Holmdel NJ