UPS for 3B2s?

Flint Pellett flint at gistdev.gist.com
Tue Jun 11 02:03:01 AEST 1991

If you are trying to protect a system from lightning, you ought to
consider a couple of other things as well.  Even when a system is
fully protected by a UPS, it is not safe.  Power spikes can come in
over phone lines as well, and another source of trouble can simply
be long runs of cable, which can be subject to induced currents if
placed in a strong enough electric field.  Even shielded cables can
have problems, since the currents can be induced in the ground lines.

We recently experienced a very close lightning strike here, and the
UPS protections we had did no good-- nearly every serial port we had
was fried, and every ethernet board, even in machines that were powered
down at the time.  Several telephones also were put out of commission.
The ethernet is coax, and the serial lines all have shielded cable, so
the best guess we have is that it was currents induced in the ground
wires or shielding that got to things.  The UPS devices are all still
operational.
--
Flint Pellett, Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, IL  61874     (217) 352-1165
uunet!gistdev!flint or flint at gistdev.gist.com