UPS for 3B2s?

Fred Worley fred at fammed.wisc.edu
Sat Jun 8 08:05:47 AEST 1991

I could use some advice on selecting a good UPS.  We have eight sites, each
with an AT&T 3B2/400/500 or 600 that have since their purchase been protected
by an Onan IPS 1100 UPS (built by Elgar corp of San Diego, specs 1000W,
standby power, no software).  These units worked fine for about the first year,
but some time before the second year they began causing more power problems
than they prevented.  I lost my faith in the product line when the UPS in our
main machine room started belching smoke.  Apparently, the battery failed and
took the circuit board -- and our 3B2 -- with it.  The importance of a low
battery warning and software control/automatic shutdown took on a new meaning
for me at that point.

Has anyone had good experiences with a UPS that comes with software for a 3B2?
I know that AT&T is coming out with their own, but I don't know who the OEM is.
Best Technologies sells a UPS (Model ME1.4KVA, on-line power, surge protection,
3B2 software, lots of features on the software) for about $2000.  I've heard
good things about the company, and it looks like a nice box and some nice code,
but the $2000 x 8 sites is somewhat daunting.  I don't want to get cheap
(we paid for that last time), but I have to justify the cost to my boss before
we can buy.  Is this a You Get What You Pay For market?  Is there another
good UPS with AT&T software for less money?  (Is the Best Technologies UPS
as good as it looks?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

--
Fred Worley 					System Administrator
University of Wisconsin - Madison
fworley at fammed.wisc.edu