BLIT vs AT&T 630MTG

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Tue Jun 11 02:36:04 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun10.032442.27620 at sci.ccny.cuny.edu> jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jeffrey L Bromberger) writes:
>... does the 630 come with "nice" software like cip and a ditroff/tek4010
>reviewer?  The documentation mentions a copy of jim, but nothing else.

The AT&T UNIX System Toolchest offers a "630pkg" containing modernized
versions of essentially all the 5620 utilities you have come to like.
Also, consider the "sam" editor offered by the Toolchest; it's a much
improved version of "jim", and once you have a license for "sam", you
can get an improved version that also supports Suntools and X-Windows
from me.

>Secondly (and probably most importantly), can the 630 do everything
>computationally the 5620 can?

Essentially, yes.  Its firmware and support software are pretty much
supersets of the 5620's.

>BTW: How to tell the ROM level on the BLIT?  The 630's setup screen
>tells me that I have over 1 meg RAM and version "8;8;6" ROMs.  Is
>there an easy way to find this on the 5620?

The easiest is to press SHIFT+SETUP and see what is displayed.
(If no version is displayed, you have 8;7;1 or 8;7;2, which are pretty
old.  8;7;5 is the latest that I know of.)