BLIT vs AT&T 630MTG

andrew.d.hay mvadh at cbnews.cb.att.com
Mon Jun 10 22:37:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun10.032442.27620 at sci.ccny.cuny.edu> jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jeffrey L Bromberger) writes:
"Hello again.  Here's the situation.  I have a 3b2 running SVR3.1, and
"I have 2 terminals for it.  One is a 5620, and the other is an AT&T
"630MTG.  For the 5620, I have the 2.0 release of the core utilities,
"font stuff, text stuff, and development things.  For the 630, I have
"the "Windowing Utilities" disk that came with the initial
"distribution, and the 630MTG development package.
"
"Needless to say, I prefer the newer 630 over the older BLIT.  From a
"quick glance, both can do layers.  But before I retire the 5620 to a
"closet, I have 2 questions for the experts.  First, does the 630 come
"with "nice" software like cip and a ditroff/tek4010 previewer?  The
"documentation mentions a copy of jim, but nothing else.  Does this
"mean that I'm SOL for the other programs? :-)  Are there PD versions,
"preferrably not from the Toolche$t?

there is xcip for the 630.  i can't see any differences from cip, but
it may have some subtle fixes/enhancements.
there's also xtek4010, a terminal emulator; and xproof, for troff
previewing.

"Secondly (and probably most importantly), can the 630 do everything
"computationally the 5620 can?  I realize that the 630 has a 68K processor
"unlike the 5620.  I want to try my hand at programming it, though, and
"would hate to be unable to do everything the BLIT could do.

the 630 can probably do everything the 5620 can, and more!
you may also want to spend the bucks (~$200, i think) to upgrade your
630 to a 730.  this buys you 6 roms with many, many enhancements and
fixes...

"Many thanks to anyone who can answer these questions for me.
"
"j
"
"BTW: How to tell the ROM level on the BLIT?  The 630's setup screen
"tells me that I have over 1 meg RAM and version "8;8;6" ROMs.  Is
"there an easy way to find this on the 5620?

shift-setup.  does your 5620 have layers in rom & 1M?
--
Ragged Individualist	| 			JAAAAAAANE!		       |