serious problem w/tcsh binary (was: Re: Shells for SYSV machines)

Eric Thompson et at tornado.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jun 18 06:23:45 AEST 1991

[someone writes]:
>Instead of bash, I am now using tcsh, which i was able to ftp the
>binaries for from tesla.ee.cornell.edu, or (so I am told) from
>tut.cis.ohio-state.edu, or possibly cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu.  I
>forget which of the two sites is supposed to have it available.

I got the 3b2 tcsh binary from ee.cornell.edu, and it works fine,
EXCEPT that whenever I'm ROOT (on the console or su'd), it will
hang if I use a command string that includes a pipe to grep.  At
least, that's all that it's hung on so far.  It doesn't seem to
care which grep, either (grep,egrep,fgrep).

For example:

	# who /etc/wtmp | grep someuser
	# ps -ef | grep someprocess

The results will show up, but then when it should EXIT and return to
the prompt, it just hangs.  Using 'ps' from another terminal shows
just -tcsh running on the hung terminal.  The hung -tcsh is killable,
and this is the current solution.

Strangely, this doesn't happen if the user is NOT root.

Anyway, this isn't enough to keep me from using tcsh as the root shell,
but it makes me wonder if there are any other strange things lurking
in the binary that will break...

Help if you can!  :-)

thanks
Eric