Shells for SYSV machines

John F Stoffel john at pitt.WPI.EDU
Thu Jun 13 02:11:37 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 11 Jun 91 16:23:58 GMT, greg at gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) said:

Gregory> kozowski at ohsu.edu (Eric Kozowski) writes:

Eric> I would like ksh, but can't buy it.  Does anyone know if there is a
Eric> PD version of ksh or a look/work alike?

Gregory> Sure, there is a PD ksh floating around, but I couldn't get
Gregory> it to compile on my 3B2.

Gregory> Use the latest bash.  I have source and binaries for both a
Gregory> 3B2 running V.3.2 and 3B15 running V.2.1

I've gotten Bash up and running on my 3b2, but the only problem I
found, and a major one for me, is that I couldn't get it to work as my
login shell.  I kept getting a 'sig access error' which told me lots.
:]

Instead of bash, I am now using tcsh, which i was able to ftp the
binaries for from tesla.ee.cornell.edu, or (so I am told) from
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu, or possibly cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu.  I
forget which of the two sites is supposed to have it available.

I'm very happy with tcsh, and after doing mcs -d tcsh, it wieghs in at
around 230k or so.  which is comparable with bash.

John

--
How do you explain Wayne Newton's POWER over millions?                   | john
 It's th' MOUSTACHE...  Have you ever noticed th' way it radiates        | @wpi