Which mail routing program do I need?

Eric Thompson et at ocf.berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 15 06:42:55 AEST 1991

Hi.  I've got a couple 3B2/700s to deal with.  Here's the situation:
we now have multiple mail readers on our system (mailx, elm, mush)
and people are beginning to use them.  Unfortunately, we only used to
have "mailx" and all of the aliases (mailing lists) were kept in
/usr/lib/mailx/mailx.rc, the global startup file.

Now, people who use other mail agents can't use the aliases because
they're specific to "mailx".

I've been trying to figure out which of the following I need:

	sendmail
	smail
	pathalias
	uumail
	<something else?>

Problems: I can't find a sendmail that will compile on my 3B2.  I know
that /usr/lib/aliases is where it will expand aliases, and this is the
type of thing I need.  Smail doesn't seem to know about alias files like
/usr/lib/alises.  If it did, Ithink it would be perfect.  If it does
and I just don't know it, *please* let me know, because I got Smail to
compile easily!  :-)

I really think I'm barking up the wrong tree with pathalias and uumail,
since we don't send to any other sites.

Thank you thank you thank you.  Email replies are (very) welcome.

Eric Thompson
et at ocf.berkeley.edu