Which mail routing program do I need?

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Tue Jun 18 07:22:20 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun14.204255.18302 at agate.berkeley.edu> et at ocf.berkeley.edu (Eric Thompson) writes:
>Problems: I can't find a sendmail that will compile on my 3B2.  I know
>that /usr/lib/aliases is where it will expand aliases, and this is the
>type of thing I need.  Smail doesn't seem to know about alias files like
>/usr/lib/alises.  If it did, Ithink it would be perfect.  If it does
>and I just don't know it, *please* let me know, because I got Smail to
>compile easily!  :-)

You should be able to use either smail2.5  or smail3.21.  They are very
different programs but either should compile and run on the 3B2.
 Smail2.5 only does alias and forward file lookup - you need to use
other programs for local and remote delivery.  If this is what you
tried and it didn't work, perhaps you have something configured wrong
or your aliases file wasn't sorted.  Some patches have been posted to
fix a bug in finding the last entry in the aliases file, though.
 Smail3.x does a fair impersonation of sendmail, including SMTP (optional),
forwarding to files and pipes, and handling most of sendmail's command
line options.  It's a bigger program with more options to configure, but
it is also more versatile and robust.
 Either version would normally be installed as /bin/rmail in a sysV
environment with a small front-end program installed as /bin/mail which
decides (based on the command line) whether to run the old /bin/mail for
reading mail or smail for sending.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us