AT&T Sys V r3.2 -- wither 128K of memory?

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Sat Jun 1 00:04:46 AEST 1991

I noticed that when I boot Sys V r3.2 on my sytem, a generic '386
based on C&T glue logic, that the system reports 8 megs minus 128K
of physical memory and about 7 megs available.

The difference between the first and second memory sizes seens to
be apporximately the size of the kernel.  I was wondering why the
system reports 128K less than the actual memory size.  The
differnece is exaclty 128K.  Is this a mapping hole for the VGA
RAM?

Just curious,
Bill

--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511