Solution to Problems with UUCP/modems.

Clarence Dold cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM
Fri Sep 9 04:42:15 AEST 1988

>From article <520 at comdesign.CDI.COM>, by pst at comdesign.CDI.COM (Paul Traina):
> From article <692 at starfish.Convergent.COM>, by cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold):
> | The uucp package on Convergent SysV (CTIX 5.x) includes a 'uugetty', that I
> | appears to do, for cu and uucico.  C-Kermit doesn't agree with it, though.
> I just upgraded one of our SsyV systems to Honey-DANBER uucp, and it turns
> out all you need to do to make C-Kermit work properly with uugetty/uucico/etc.
> is to recompile ckutio.c with -DATT3BX.  This makes locks go in /usr/spool/locks
The problem I had with this scheme if I recall correctly, is that kermit had
to be suid uucp, in order to kill uugetty, a step in the outbound dialing.
If this was true, a shell spawned from kermit carried the effective id
of uucp, endangering some security.  A shell spawned from cu gives the
original uid, rather than uucp. I thought I could hack the code, but gave up.

C-Kermit, 4E(070) 29 Jan 88, AT&T System III/System V

I never even looked at -DATT3BX.  I read from your message that this should be
a separate compile, outside of defining ATT3BX to the full Makefile.
I'll try that, but I wanted to post back to the net first, to avoid someone
inadvertently leaving a hole in security.
--
Clarence A Dold - cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM		(408) 435-5274
		...pyramid!ctnews!mitisft!professo!dold