Solution to Problems with UUCP/modems.

Clarence Dold cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM
Wed Sep 7 03:39:02 AEST 1988

>From article <324 at telly.UUCP>, by evan at telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch):
> There is also a System V acucntrl which does the same thing, but not as
> gracefully (?) as direct kernel diddling.
>
> This worked steadily for me on a Convergent Megaframe, though I'm not
> using it now.
The uucp package on Convergent SysV (CTIX 5.x) includes a 'uugetty', that I
didn't think was Convergent exclusive.  It does everything that acucntrl
appears to do, for cu and uucico.  C-Kermit doesn't agree with it, though.
It works rather simply, by looking for lock files, the contents of which
are the owning process id.  If that process id is not active, the lock is
removed.  ct, cu, uucico, and uugetty all are suid uucp, and cooperate in
this scheme.

--
Clarence A Dold - cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM		(408) 435-5274
		...pyramid!ctnews!mitisft!professo!dold