SysVR4?

Dennis Grittner dennisg at pwcs.StPaul.GOV
Sat Sep 24 00:45:52 AEST 1988

In article <40416 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>[Mandatory disclaimer: What follows are my very own personal opionions. I have
>neither the authority nor the knowledge to represent Pyramid Technology Corpo-
>ration on any of the following issues. My comments are *not* based on inside
>knowledge of anything going on at Pyramid; just my own observations based on
>12 years of experience in the computer industry, and five years with UNIX.]

Thanks Carl, I appreciate your comments - even if ( and
especially if ) they are YOUR comments.

AS the current President of PUG ( realize that I speak for myself
NOT for PUG ) I have some feelings and insight into the whole
patchwork Unix matter...

First, IBM, Dec, HP, etc aren't throwing money at Unix because
they think it is unimportant - quite the opposite. Basing an OSF
Unix on AIX would ( will ) be yapog ( Yet Another Piece of
Garbage ) for all the computer world to use. HOpefully OSF and
ATT/SUn and whoever else can work something out and create a
belnd of good ideas AND good performance that will help all of us
in a heterogenous Unix environment.

Pyramid OSx has been good because they have addressed a lot of
performance and other problems in Unix relatively well. I think
that Pyramids recent concentration on being a network
database/compute server is every good as this fits the whole
world of distributed ( front-end /back-end ) processing.

I agree Carl, when would anybody expect anything good from AT&T -
or for that matter from IBM and Dec??

"
Save us all - here come our saviors"!

--
Dennis Grittner		City of Saint Paul, Minnesota
(612) 298-4402		Room 700, 25 W. 4th St. 55102