bind 4.8 under OSx 4.4c

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Tue Jul 11 17:28:29 AEST 1989

>>When you change versions of BIND, you change getbyhostname(3N) and its
>>friends in libc.a. That means *everything* that references gethostbyname()
>>has to be relinked and replaced. That works out to a total of 99 binary
>>files in the OSx release, including libc.a itself.
>
>99?  I think that is a slight exaggeration.

No sir, that's a 'wc' of my manifest for my BIND 4.8 beta tape. Well, OK, I
can root out all the "hangers on," things that come with a package but don't
actually call gethostbyname(3N); uux and uucp for example.... 69 files. A
slight exaggeration, I guess. :-)

>And you do not HAVE to run Sendmail 5.61, although that means you cannot
>fully take advantage of BIND 4.8.

True; and strictly speaking, you don't *have* to replace any of the routines
that call gethostbyname(3N) either. The calls to the nameserver are allegedly
upward compatible. But now I'm being pedantic. I guess I think of BIND 4.8
and Sendmail 5.59+ as inseperable; each has features that implies the other.

<csg>