NTP on Pyramid?

Bob Sutterfield bob at cis.ohio-state.edu
Tue Jul 11 09:07:31 AEST 1989

newsgroup comp.sys.pyramid.)

Has anyone gotten NTP (trantor.umd.edu:pub/ntp-test.tar.Z, dated May
18) running on a Pyramid?

I'm trying to bring NTP upon our Pyramids under OSx4.4, a beastie
that's roughly 2/3 of the way from BSD 4.2 to 4.3.  First, it has no
setlogmask(), so I deftly #ifdef'd my way around that one for now.
#defining -DGENERIC_UNS_BUG and -DSUN_FLOAT_BUG let me pass test3()
and test4().

Now, when test1() calls double_to_l_fixed(&sample,1.50), we get as far
as multiplying temp by 4.294967296e9 which yields 2.14748e+09.  Then,
at the attempt to assign (double) temp to (u_long) t->fraction, we get
a floating point exception.

Any suggestions?  Need I go through the reverse of the contortions in
-DGENERIC_UNS_BUG, to assign a double to a u_long?

And (more importantly) how important is double_to_l_fixed really, in
the grand scheme of NTP?  I see it called only once in the distributed
sources, and that's in test.c.  Can I safely install the entire rest
of the NTP corpus that built successfully, and ignore the fact that I
couldn't pass this trip test?