lock files or flock() - which does /bin/mail use?

Ken Spagnolo KSpagnol at massey.ac.nz
Thu Jul 20 15:12:32 AEST 1989

The subject line says it all, really.  I am writing something that grabs
files out of /usr/spool/mail, so I need to lock them first.  The docs say
binmail puts lock files in /usr/spool/mail, but my experiments say it does
no such thing.  This implies flock() is used, right?  I don't really care,
but I need to be sure what the mechanism is so I do the same.

Anyone know for sure?  Thank you much.