NNTP on Pyramid?

Karl Kleinpaste karl at cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jul 20 06:21:42 AEST 1989

I run NNTP on tut.cis.ohio-state.edu, under OSx4.0.  Runs fine, if
you've got NNTP 1.5.  Versions previous to 1.5 made poor assumptions
about what gets returned by gethostby*() routines, as I recall.

When you telnet to the NNTP port, you should get a greeting from the
server such as:
   200 tut.cis.ohio-state.edu NNTP server version 1.5 (26 Feb 88)...
If you get that, you're running fine.  If not...well, try
   netstat -a -n | fgrep .119
and see what happens.  You should get back...
   tcp        0      0  *.119                  *.*                    LISTEN
...if inetd is doing its job right.  Since manual starting gives "addr
in use" diagnostics, I strongly suspect that inetd is fine.
--
I think that everyone's brains get scrambled one way or another.
					--Killashandra Ree