bind 4.8 under OSx 4.4c

Warren Lavallee warren at ginosko.samsung.com
Wed Jul 12 00:51:14 AEST 1989

>From an article by csg at pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst):
> 	strictly speaking, you don't *have* to replace any of the routines
> that call gethostbyname(3N) either. The calls to the nameserver are allegedly
> upward compatible. But now I'm being pedantic. I guess I think of BIND 4.8
> and Sendmail 5.59+ as inseperable; each has features that implies the other.

	The support in the library is there and it works.  However I did have
to link my sendmail v5.61+ (with IDA enchancements) with the libresolv.a
library to get it to work.

	My nameserver hasn't died in 24 hours.  This is definately an
improvement.  I compiled it with -OG... Is that ok?  This was a Pyramid
C compiler bug that caused this right?

	Perhaps I won't dump my system into the Atlantic, but I can
replace it with a Sequent (All hail Sequent!) Symetry and not upgrade
the Pyramid anymore.  Who ever heard of booting from Floppy?

	I do like one thing I saw in the Pyramid.  My system disk went off
line and the system didn't crash.  It was offline for 3 hours and the system
wasn't hung.  All the access were blocked, but other things worked fine.  Like
to see a Sequent do that.

							- Warren
--
Your mind understands what you have been taught;  your heart, what is true.
NEARnet/Internet:  warren at ginosko.samsung.com |       SRI-NIC handle: WJL17